Monday, September 5, 2011

The Nature of Science

Over the last two weeks, we have been learning what is takes to be a Second Grade Scientist. We have experimented with our five senses (sight, touch, smell, hearing, and taste) to discover and make observations about simple things in our world. We conducted a lab where we thought deeply what we could learn by making observations about a banana. This lab was followed up by learning about the difference between an observation and an inference. Ask your little scientist to explain the difference!
Toward the end of last week, we began our new unit of study in which we will be learning about the Earth's structure... soil and rocks to be more exact. We started our investigations by wondering the question, "What is soil made of?" Our first inquiry had us combing through a pile of dirt from Miss Thomson's yard.
We were able to see many different things hiding in it, such as rocks, little bugs, mulch, leaves, little plants, and even a seashell! The next day we compared four different samples of soil including topsoil (dirt from Miss Thomson's yard), potting soil, sandy soil, and clay.

Check out some pictures below, showcasing our scientist skills:

making observations
using hand lens to zoom in
sampling the samples
using our sense of touch

recording observations in our Science Notebook
recording comparisons in our Science Notebook


11 comments:

  1. Awesome! I loved seeing the scientists in action and learning more about what they are doing in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to learn! Thank you for sharing parts of their lesson!

    The Griffin Gang

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned soil is made of dead bugs,dead plants,water,and rocks. Since the bugs live in the soil, there has to be air because animals can't live without air. I had the most fun using the hand lends to look at the potting soil, yard soil, and sandy soil. Science is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My observation is that the children had a Science Lab. My inference is that they had fun and learned alot.
    Lourdes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned that worms lived in soil and that's were thy get there food from.
    -Dazha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Science and Nature i can't wait for what we are going to learn next. I cant wait for a great year.
    Love Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to get started with the book review. I am going to try my best. I am definitely coming back tomorrow for more fun! FROM MEGAN L.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so fun discovering about soil i learned alot about soil i also like science that much
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cant belive that were soil experts yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can not beleive we are soil experts and geoligist experts to I cant wait to become aplant expert too.
    Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love science!I learned that soil is made of nutrintes,worms bathroom stuff and old tree branch es and dead roots.




    Dazha

    ReplyDelete